Referring A Student

How to Make a Referral to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

While many students come to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) on their own, your high exposure to students increases the likelihood of confronting signs or behaviors of distress in a student.

Signs To Look For:

  • Notable decrease in student productivity, work quality, or involvement in required course activities.
  • Bizarre, inappropriate, or morbid content in written communication (written assignments, blogs, emails, etc.) that seems inappropriate to the context.
  • Any direct verbalizations of emotional or psychological distress.

What Can You Do?

  • Recommend CAPS services to the student. Provide him/her one of the brochures if you have one available or direct them to the main CAPS website.
  • Encourage the student to take an online assessment (Anxiety, Depression, Eating Concerns, Substance Abuse, PTSD, etc.) to help them determine if counseling might be helpful, or direct them to the online workshops.
  • Determine his/her willingness to go to CAPS.
  • Reassure the student that it is an act of strength to ask for help.
  • Dispute the myth that only “crazy” people go for counseling.
  • If you know one of our staff members, you may wish to refer the student to that particular counselor (although, services with a particular staff member are dependent upon availability).
  • Explain to the student what they can expect from CAPS (confidentiality, support, Walk-in Consultation, possible referral to community services).
  • If you have questions or are unsure about the student, please call and consult with a CAPS counselor.
  • You may also call CAPS while the student is in your office to facilitate making an appointment (305-348-2277 or FIU-CAPS). If you feel that the situation is an emergency or crisis situation, please state this directly. Same day emergency appointments are available.
  • If it is possible, walk with the student to CAPS in SHC 270 or WUC 320.

Please note: all communications between students and the professional staff members are confidential. A counselor will not be able to consult with you about a referred student without the written permission of the student.



To make an appointment with us, please call:

305-348-2277 (CAPS)

Appointments will be held over the phone or by videoconference (through a HIPAA-compliant platform).



If you are in need of immediate services, please call our 24-Hour hotline 305-348-2277 (CAPS) to speak with a licensed clinician.



SHC 270


Remote Hours of Operation 

Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM




WUC 320


Remote Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM